Sunday, January 4, 2009

Bored With Writing Yet?


When I told a friend I'm working on the third SEALed book, she commented, "You're not bored yet with writing romance?"


She knows me too well. Romance novelist is only the most recent of work identities I've had. And it's not because I can't stick to things. I stick. But in a year or five or ten, the day comes when I feel, "Okay, I've done that."


On the Myers-Briggs I'm an ENTP--an entrepreneur. I love planning. I love stepping out on untried ground. There's a literal and figurative rush as I cram enough background to get myself up to speed.


While needing challenges is crucial to my makeup, the real fuel that drives me is that I love to learn. There's nothing I would rather do and I feel actual, physical pleasure closely akin to sexual turn on when I acquire new understanding.


Which brings me to the purpose of this blog.


I resisted writing a blog for a long time. My accomplishments from yesterday aren't all that interesting to me. I don't want to spend time writing about them. And I already know my opinion. Oh, and I don't care for expository writing. All those things would be the very definition of putting up a blog by rote.


Then it occurred to me, I could use a blog to explore learning to write. My blog will be a place to bat around ideas for stories, to study the creative process, to inch my way toward understanding of how the thousand interlocking pieces of writing craft fit together.


That's where I'm going with Wrote Leaning. There's room on this bus for anyone who thinks the trip sounds like fun.
Love,
Mary Margret

No comments:

Post a Comment